Gone are the days when garage, patio and basement floors used to be dull and boring. the epoxy coating uses a mix of chemicals that give an extra sheen to your floors. It is a mixture of a hardener and epoxy resin that creates a tough and shiny finish to your floorings, decks, and countertops. Used to seal concrete surfaces, it is noted worldwide for its durability and aesthetic value. Let’s find out more about them.
What epoxy coating is?
Also known as epoxy paint or epoxy sealant, is a mixture of epoxy and acrylic paint that allows customizations in terms of colors and textures. A wide range of finishes can be given to this paint to create the desired look on the surfaces. As compared to plain concrete flooring, an epoxy floor is more resistant to chemicals and stains, due to which it is a popular choice for coating floors of garages, workshops, and factories. Due to the variety of looks, it can be used to create, and because of its high durability and resistance power, it has become a popular choice for residential as well as commercial spaces as well.
How epoxy paint works?
Epoxy Coat is a mixture of two components that are used to give your floor a kind of protecting coating. Epoxy kits that you can buy from a home improvement or hardware stores contain one part of epoxy resin and one part of a polyamine hardener. Instead of drying, this coating is meant to cure, the process of which would seal the pores in the concrete surface. As a result, the floor receives a kind of shine and stays protected against stains, scratches, and spills.
Benefits of epoxy coating
As compared to other coatings often applied on concrete surfaces, there are several benefits of using epoxy floor coating:
- It is easy and quick to install.
- It does not require any layout, special tools or cutting of additional adhesives.
- It is durable and long-lasting.
- It is easy to clean and maintain.
- It is highly resistant to water, chemical and oil stains.
- It gives a shiny glossy surface that brightens the interiors significantly.
- It is a durable surface that can withstand heavy traffic.
- It is ideal for industrial applications, warehouses, and garages.
- It can be mixed with colors and paints to hide cracks and chips.
- Due to its chemical resistant property, it is ideal to be installed on floors of manufacturing plants.
- It contains anti-slip additives, which make the surface safe and sturdy.
- Different patterns can be created on the epoxy coating to demarcate driveways and walkways.
- It keeps your existing concrete floor safe against wear and tear.
- It is available in a variety of colors that you can match with your interior décor.
- You can get different types of finishes as well.
Selecting the right epoxy coating for your property
Now that you have made up your mind to coat your concrete surfaces with epoxy, here are a few tips to make the right selection:
- The kind of finish and look you want from your flooring largely determines the epoxy coat you choose. Whether you are looking for a clear finish, solid color finish or a colored flake finish, first decide what you want and then select the coating.
- The strength you want from your flooring also determines your choice. Normal epoxy floor coating is sufficient for residential purposes, but if you are going to install in an industrial application, you will need to go for commercial or industrial grade epoxy.
- You can choose from new, old, pitted, stained, or moisture-affected floorings.
So, go for the epoxy coating to give that extra strength, shine and resistance power to your concrete floors. However, keep the above-mentioned points in mind while making your final selection.